Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Haven - a place of safety or refuge.

"Safe Harbor 2" - Photograph by William Reek
Haven - A place of safety or refuge.  Haven - A place where you are protected from danger and trouble.  Haven - Shelter, port, retreat, sanctuary, asylum.

Every now and then I need to have a break.  Why?  Well the break allows me to rest, get refreshed, re-focused, re-energized, and ready to take on whatever tasks life has for me. My strength is renewed when I am rested and safe.  Usually I take these breaks at home, because I feel safe there, but other times I may go to a place I feel relaxed, safe, and comfortable.  This is what a haven is, a place of safety.

What is your place of safety, or refuge, your haven?

But even more than the physical location, people can be havens, too.  Safe people, people who give us refuge, who can listen without condemnation, who encourage us, uplift us, and let us be ourselves.  For many of us, our spouse can be that haven.  Trusted, confidential, help-mate; we can take refuge in our spouses.  Or perhaps you have a sibling, a brother or sister who you can confide in, be refreshed by, let your hair down with.  Sometimes we can have a dear friend, a confidant, a church friend who gives us that place of haven emotionally and allows a respite from whatever circumstance we are facing.  Better yet, we can have several safe people, who will listen, comfort, touch, inspire, and allow us that break to pause, refresh, and renew.  


So do you have people in your life who are a haven for you?


"
This I declare about the LORD: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him." - Psalm 91:2 (NLT)


In the Bible, God is mentioned as our refuge.  What a promise.  He is our safe place, our retreat and protection.  He is who we can rest in, who can help us when we need a break from the world (the world that Satan - the accuser - currently is ruler of.)  He is the One who refreshes us, the One who strengthens us, the One who encourages us to hold fast to Hope, to Jesus.   And yes, we can be ourselves, coming to Him in all our unabashed failures, sins, and faults.  He is the One who made us, who loves us.  And He will be that Haven for us.  But by being with Him, we are changed, renewed, made whole from that place of refuge, made more like Him in that moment of safety.      

 "God is our refuge and strength,
    a very present help in trouble." - Psalm 46:1 (ESV)

Will you let God be your Haven today?





Follow us on FACEBOOK

Surecord.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be reviewed by a moderator and posted as soon as possible. Thanks for stopping by!